Under Admin > Order Config > Coupons, you can create coupons that will apply a flat discount or percentage-based discount. There are additional options to set effective dates, expiration dates, or apply other rules/criteria in order for the coupon to apply. Always make sure to test to ensure you are not giving away items for free.
Click "Add New" to create a brand new coupon. The Required Fields are:
- Name - Names must be unique, per coupon, and will show as a line item on the order.
- Coupon Code - The code a customer will use to redeem the coupon. The code must be unique.
- Discount - A number or percentage that applies as a discount.
- Expires - Sets a "use by" or "redeem by" expiration date.
Availability Rules - Adds additional criteria for when the coupon can/will apply. You can find a list of Availability Rules here.
- The most common Availability Rules used are "Minimum Category Items" or "Minimum Specific Items", which ensures a coupon can only apply when a specific item is rented or a specific category is rented from. For example, applying a discount only when a customer orders a Concession item. However, this does not limit the coupon from applying to other items/categories (see Applying Coupons Toward Specific Items or Categories below).
- The "Closures" availability rule can be used to prevent the coupon from applying for specific dates, such as holidays. You may have a "Start Date" of "2025-12-01" and "End Date" of "2025-12-31" as the effective dates for the coupon, but you could add a "Closure" for "2025-12-25" to prevent the coupon from applying on Christmas Day.
- Start Date - Effective start date for the coupon based on the dates of the order.
- End Date - Effective end date for the coupon based on the dates of the order. Open-ended orders cannot use a coupon code that has an "End Date".
- Apply to Entire Order (not just specific items) - Setting to "Yes" will always apply the discount toward the entire subtotal. If you select "No", you must have an associated price rule for "Apply Coupon by Item" attached to the item you wish to discount. There are further steps below.
- Point Cost(s) - For associating a discount with a Loyalty Point program. Customers can spend points to use this coupon.
- Point Award(s) - For granting free Loyalty Points with coupon use, such as a promotion for bonus or extra points.
Date Example: I want to offer a coupon for November that must be used by the end of September.
- Expires: 2024-09-31
- Start Date: 2024-11-01
- End Date: 2024-11-30
Applying Coupons Toward Specific Items or Categories
Coupons normally apply to the entire subtotal for an order, however, you may wish to only discount a specific item or specific category. To configure this, make a new coupon with a coupon code and the "Apply to Entire Order" option set to "No". The item/category must then have a Schedule Profile with a Price Rule for "Apply Coupon by Item" attached. This price rule tells the system which item(s) CAN be discounted.
Single Use or One-Time Use Coupons
There is an Availability Rule for "Single Use Coupon by Email" that can prevent customers from using a specific coupon code more than once. To configure this, navigate to Admin > Rules > Availability Rulesets > Universal Availability. Add the appropriate rule and coupon code before clicking "Submit".
You can customize the error message, if you would like. Only "Active" orders are counted. Quotes, incomplete, and canceled orders do not count as usage for a coupon. Only the email field is checked. If a customer uses a different email, they will be able to re-use the coupon, but only once for that email address.
Please sign in to leave a comment.