When categories and items are created in the Control Panel a webpage automatically generates based on the name. We recommend choosing names carefully to help your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Spaces are automatically converted to underscores.
- Categories create the path: “/category/category_name/”
- Items create the path: “/items/item_name/”
Note: You can now choose to have the system use dashes instead of underscores for item and category URLs. To enable this feature, navigate to Admin>General Config>Misc Settings>Use Dash for URL Space Character. Please note that if you have a sitemap, then it should be regenerated after making any changes to avoid duplicate content.
Here is an example of the webpage created by a new category creation. When clicking on this category in your Store, it navigates to the following webpage: /categories/new_category/
Event Rental Systems has functionality to edit your category and item web pages allowing you to add templates from the Responsive Editor into the page. This Knowledge Base tutorial will walk you through creating these pages. Here is an example of the end result:
Creating the Custom Page
To begin, navigate to the category or item you would like to edit by going to Admin>Products>Category, or Admin>Products>Items. The steps are the exact same for both category and item page creation. This example will walk you through creating a custom category webpage.
1. Next to “Display to Customer” is a button for “Edit Responsive Content”. Click the “Edit Responsive Content” button to open the Responsive Editor and edit the category page:
2. Once clicked, you will be presented with a blank page in the Responsive Editor:
3. Notice that your “Store” is no longer on the page. This needs to be recreated to maintain the integrity of the original page and show your items. The system will automatically filter the store to the respective category page being edited.
Hover over the “Gear” icon, click the blue “Change Style” button, and find the “Store” within the list of available templates. Drag and drop the “Store” into the page.
4. Once the store is added, you can continue to add templates and edit the page as needed. Once complete, do not forget to hover over the “Gear” icon and click the green “Save” button. You can click here to read an article on how to use our Responsive Editor to edit webpages. Once the page is saved, navigate to Admin>Website>Website Pages to locate the new web page you created. The new page is not active at this time.
5. Click on the page to edit it. To make the new page live on your website you will need to make two key changes. First, the “Path” must match the exact path of the category, which is /categories/new_category/ in this example. You can always navigate to the category on your website and look at the URL in the navigation bar.
Second, change the “Responsive Page Mode” from “Classic” to “Responsive”:
6. Once completed, click “Submit” in the top right. Navigate to your website to confirm the changes.